Wednesday, December 28, 2005

holiday versus christmas

how is it that we live in a time that the christian movement can shame us into excluding all other religions?

advertisers can't say holiday anymore, they have to say christmas, or they're attacked by the christian coalition.

people in everyday conversation say "merry christmas" now, which really is bothersome when you're not religious.

as a society, we used to be more accepting in our holiday festivities, but that isn't acceptable anymore.

since when did acceptance of people, regardless of religion, race, gender, sexual orientation... since when did acceptance of ALL people become unacceptable?

apparently this year.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. When I say "Happy Holidays" to some of my co-workers, they pointedly stress "Merry Christmas" in reply with their 'holier-than-thou' attitude. I just ignore them though because I don't want to get into the whole "I'm not a Christian" thing with them. Open-minded they're not!

Anonymous said...

I think it is silly. I thought the meaning of Christmas was Jesus' birth. I understand that it has become commercial, but I don't like having to call it a holiday tree. I grew up and it was Christmas. Has it become so material that we forget why we celebrate this holiday anyway?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
squakk said...

that's the point- not everyone celebrates this holiday because of christ. so when you say merry christmas forcefully to people, you are discounting the reason THEY celebrate this holiday.

what if someone took the same approach and assumed that the reason they celebrate the holiday (solstice for example) should be the reason you celebrate, and they said 'happy solstice' to you, angrily, as if you had forgotten the reason for the season?