Sunday, June 24, 2007

bwcaw- revisited 2007

aaron, my brother scott and i dipped our canoes in wilderness water again. we dipped in at baker lake and stayed on weird lake for two nights.

it's not easy to find the right words to describe the way we feel about the boundary waters. aaron and i brought our favorite book of poems up with us to read by the campfire, and we found this poem by william stafford which does a nice job of articulating the happiness for us:

Why I Am Happy
- William Stafford

Now has come, an easy time. I let it
roll. There is a lake somewhere
so blue and far nobody owns it.
A wind comes by and a willow listens
gracefully.

I hear all this, every summer. I laugh
and cry for every turn of the world,
its terribly cold, innocent spin.
That lake stays blue and free; it goes
on and on.

And I know where it is.


all my pics on www.flickr.com




here are some of the highlights of our trip:

aaron tipped his canoe while shooting some rapids and took a long cold swim in the drink (btw, going into the drink deeper than your rear is known as getting asswet, which aaron did with grace)

we saw about a zillion bald eagles- one of which was enthusiastically eating something on the shore of the lake we were fishing in.

we caught a few northerns and one super huge small mouth bass.

we witnessed the procreation of a couple of turtles who laid their eggs on the shore of our campsite.

we had three days of uninterrupted sunshine, amazing weather.

i took my digital camera with me- a huge risk, based on my track record of losing two cameras to the wilderness so far. my canon made it out alive with no injury and with almost 4 GB worth of images and video. thanks wilderness for not harming my camera friend!

this is going to sound incredibly macabre, but it's really very settling for me... while we were out there canoing around, i decided that if anything ever happens to aaron and he is gone, i will go out to the boundary waters for a solo trip to find some solace. i know which lake i will go to. aaron says if i am gone, he will also go there... as an atheist, there isn't much i can do to feel better after the passing of my best and most treasured friend in the world. it's so reassuring to know that i have a plan for the best possible thing i can do at the worst possible moment in my life.

we're planning another trip to the bwcaw this year, possibly with aaron's dad. we're also planning another car camping trip hopefully with some new friends- carla and tom. oh yeah, and we're going to pull off another fall colors camping trip for my birthday, perhaps in northern wisconsin!!

minnesota is a great place to live. =)

here is some of the video i shot (7:46)(it's working now):

No comments: