Friday, December 29, 2006

fantastic read during transition/difficult times- thanks saire!!

i hit some pretty strong situational depression while recently digging through myself, trying to ask hard questions and struggling with the answers. it was the first time in recent history that i've had to rely so heavily on my friends for support. as i may have mentioned, all my friends came through for me with an overwhelming wave of love and encouragement. you all helped in some incredibly important way and i thank you.

while at one of my lowest points, my friend saire cookson recommended this book to me:
What I Know Now: Letters to My Younger Self
by Ellyn Spragins


i'm telling you now, this book is most fantastical. women who have succeeded in every way you can imagine write a letter to themselves at a younger age, seeking to impart some deeper wisdom they now possess on a struggling younger self.

the result is an encouragment for the reader like no other. it gives perspective, hope, reassurance, all the things we struggle so hard to find in the moment when we need them most, delivered to us by women we can respect and admire. i found myself crying often, the answers almost bleeding out of me as i read.

this book is a must MUST read by anyone working through hard times in their lives. i would recommend it to everyone, but it seems like this book would be so much more powerful at the right moment, it almost makes sense to save it until the struggle is most intense. i want to buy my own copy, so that the next friend that needs it can borrow it from me just in time for their own salvation.

saire, your recommendation was priceless. thank you.

No comments: