Friday, December 29, 2006

first day at my new job =)

so last thing i mentioned on my blog about the job situation was that i had an invitation to join a new company. i have accepted their offer and actually had my first day with them already today!

last monday i gave notice and said my last day would be january 9th. the new company asked me if i could get a little time in ahead of my january 10th start date, and since we're on holiday today and tuesday, i agreed to work at the new place both those days.

so my new job started today, and it felt like such a great fit, i'm so excited! i know it's the right thing to do, to work through the 9th and give a full two weeks, but i'm so ready to move on already.

it was pretty hard to give notice and revisit all the questions i've asked myself over the last six months. this time, i had to face them from my colleagues, none of whom were present during my lowest moments of depression in searching out the right answer for myself. i can't really expect them to know as surely as i do, but it's hard not to re-ask myself along with the rest of them-
- it's only been 6 months, are you sure it's not a fit?
- aren't you interested in helping build this thing?
- what is it that you just don't like about it, and aren't those things fixable?
- the company sees you as part of a bigger picture here, aren't you interested in that path?
- the client really likes you and will be so disappointed...

i've known that this was the right decision, but that doesn't mean it's an easy transition.
the great feeling i had at the new place today makes the rest of my transition that much more difficult. they'll be telling my current client this coming week along with the rest of the agency, so i'm sure i will hear the questions above many more times. hopefully, the answers will flow a little more easily.

maybe i should follow my friend lori's advice- when asked why i'm leaving, she suggests saying: 'it's simple, they won't let me drink at work, here.'

No comments: